Senior Product Development Specialist .
Bridgend - Wales
Depending on experience
Senior Product Development Specialist
The Product Development Group (consisting of Product, Software, & Applications chemists) supports the product portfolio across several Business Units including Thermal Desorption (TD), Extraction & Enrichment (E&E) and Supplies. The group delivers innovative new product & application development, and provides ongoing support & continuous enhancement of the current product ranges.
The Senior Product Development Specialist will lead the Product team within the Group and will work closely with the Product Development Manager to ensure that all projects – both large and small – meet their delivery targets.
The role involves, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
New Product Introduction
- Working in close liaison with the engineering team & the business units you will proactively engage in the product innovation process, exploring novel technologies & chemistries to develop the next generation of cutting-edge products for our customers.
- Take responsibility for detailed product specifications for new projects & contribute / review specifications for software & applications projects, as necessary.
- Develop & manage test plans for product development projects, record & present the results to the project team. Work directly with the Business Units & Engineering teams to ensure that the developed products are fit for purpose.
- Ensure that all projects deliver the highest quality of chromatography validation, application testing and technical data for proof statements.
- Contribute to the transfer of new products to the fulfilment team, including writing user manuals, test processes and other documentation.
- Develop & maintain a high level of expertise across the portfolio of products.
- Operate, maintain & troubleshoot laboratory instrumentation including 3rd party products i.e. GCMS, autosamplers etc.
- Develop & maintain knowledge of competitor’s products & applications relevant to current projects.
Technical Development & Customer Support
- Provide training & technical support to other departments i.e., Final Test; Production; Marketing; Sales & Service as required.
- Provide technical input into product, technical or quality escalations raised by Fulfilment and / or Customer Support teams.
Leadership & Project Management
- Lead the product chemists’ team, supporting everyone to ensure that their project deliverables are met within the required timeframes, alerting stakeholders to any potential delay or issue in a timely manner.
- Liaise closely with applications & software development chemists within the Group work together to ensure that all required outputs are on target for each project.
- Have oversight of all workstreams & projects currently underway within the Group, review milestones / gateways regularly with relevant personnel, and provide early warning of any technical or timeline barriers.
The successful candidate will have strong hands-on technical skills & will thrive in a busy, multi-discipline environment. They will be inventive & resourceful with the ability to look at technical challenges from a creative & original point of view.
They will have demonstrated the ability to build good relationships across various functional teams & show leadership where required.
- Have a degree or higher degree (or equivalent) in Analytical Chemistry or a similar discipline.
- Have a solid theoretical understanding of chromatography and hands-on experience of GC (or HPLC) and mass spectrometry.
- Be able to demonstrate a proven logical approach to, and interest in, problem solving and show particular attention to detail in both laboratory work and written reporting.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyse complex systems or processes and explain them clearly and concisely.
- A track record in managing multiple workstreams with various priorities and timelines.
- Be articulate in both written & verbal communications with excellent presentation skills.
- A proven ability to set realistic goals & targets for a project and motivate the team to meet them successfully.
- Experience of assembling / disassembling analytical instrumentation or electro-mechanical systems – for maintenance, troubleshooting or modification.
- Experience with a range of GC sample introduction techniques would be highly beneficial including thermal desorption, pyrolysis, SPME, headspace, purge and trap.
Please apply by emailing: Emily.firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this job